Unlike previous version of Windows where you could boot into Safe Mode by pressing down the F8 key Windows 8 and 8.1 have a different method for booting into Safe Mode. It’s a little bit more complicated by don’t worry! I’ve listed the steps:
- Press and hold the Windows Key and then, while still holding the Windows Key, press the R key.
- Into the Run window that appears type in msconfig
- A System Configuration Window will appear, click on the Boot tab.
- In the bottom left under Boot Options, check both Safe Mode and Minimal
- Click Apply
- A smaller window will appear, within it click Restart
Your computer will be re-booted into Safe Mode. Do what you need to in Safe Mode and when you’re done repeat the same steps as before except in Step 4 un-check Minimal and Safe Mode. This will allow you to boot into normal Windows.