Skype used to allow you the option to run automatically on startup but unfortunately the new Skype app in Windows 8 and 8.1 no longer includes this option… at least officially.
However you can still use this quick unofficial method to setup Skype to run automatically as soon as you turn your computer on.
- Go to the Desktop
- Right-Click and go to New and then click on Shortcut
- In the window that appears type the following into the textbox: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start “” “skype:”
- Click Next
- For the name type in Skype and click Finish. A new icon called Skype should appear on your desktop.
- Right-Click on the new Skype shortcut icon and click copy
- Now we need to move this shortcut into the startup folder. On your keyboard press the Windows Key and the R key at the same time to bring up the Run window.
- Type in %appdata% and press enter.
- Navigate through the folders to Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
- Right-Click inside this folder and select paste. The Skype shortcut will appear inside the Startup folder.
Restart your computer and now Skype will start whenever you turn your computer on!